From time to time we’re asked to help spread the word about job openings and other events happening around DC, and we’re happy to do it. Here is a job opening you or someone you know may be interested in:
Sr. Manager, Government Relations (safety & security)
Trade association, Washington, DCSALARY: $75,000
Make an impact on homeland security policy while also advocating positions which affect federal workplace safety laws. Combine your experience in government relations with your knowledge of policy issues related to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) into an advocacy role within one of DC’s leading trade associations. As the right-hand to the Director of Government Relations, you will step into a leadership position which will put you in a prominent light with government agencies and Capitol Hill as well as with other GR staff whom you will periodically oversee.
Your primary role will be to advocate publicly on behalf of member companies to influence DHS in the development of a year-old security Act which is set to expire in 2009. In its aftermath, you will be poised to deal with potentially stricter regulations from legislators in the new Congress. To facilitate this lobbying effort, you will receive input from the “Safety and Security Committee” which you will manage through regular committee meetings. As a follow-up, you will draft congressional testimony, regulatory comments and newsletter articles.
Travel is minimal (approximately 5%) and is all domestic.
- Manage Safety & Security Committee by providing leadership, strategic planning and administrative oversight.
- Monitor and analyze legislative and regulatory proposals, responding to those that may impact the membership.
- Develop and execute advocacy strategies; meet with congressional and regulatory policymakers and staff to promote association positions; draft congressional testimony and regulatory comments.
- Create and implement communication strategies and outreach initiatives; develop key messages and supporting arguments; write articles, speeches, background documents, brochures, presentations and reports.
- Develop and maintain a network of key decision makers and officials from federal regulatory agencies, congressional staff, related industry trade groups and coalitions, and the media.
- Assist Director of Government Relations by providing leadership and participating in day-to-day management and supervision of the department during Director’s absence.
- Bachelor’s degree in Political Science or related field.
- Minimum six (6) – eight (8) years direct experience with a trade association, public affairs/government relations firm, public affairs office, the federal government or Capitol Hill.
- Experience working with DHS, FBI, OSHA, DEA, CSB and other federal agencies, as well as Congress with a thorough understanding of legislative and regulatory processes.
- Security clearance (“SECRET” and above) issued by the U.S. government strongly preferred.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills, including significant public speaking, presentation development and speech writing skills.
- Proven leadership, organizational, problem-solving and business development skills, including research, analytical, strategy development and implementation.
FOR IMMEDIATE CONSIDERATION:
Email resume, cover letter and writing samples (eg. white paper or position paper) to Sarah Smith, Positions Inc. at firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: “Sr. Manager, GR”.